Golden Tower

Torre del Oro de Sevilla

One of the later examples of Almohad art in Seville, the Golden Tower is the last bastion of the fortified wall which began at the Alcazar. There are many legends as to the origin of the tower’s name. Some say it refers to the reflections of the sun on the tiles which supposedly covered it, while others claim it was the golden hair of a damsel which King Pedro locked up in the building. The fact is that it was called the Golden Tower because of its importance in comparison to the nearby Silver Tower.

Built at the beginning of the 13th Century, the tower has twelve sides. Large chains used to be connected from the base of the tower to the other side of the river to guard the entranceway to the port. The highest part of the tower was added by Sebastian Vander Borcht in 1760.

Today it is a naval museum with engravings, letters, models, antique navigational instruments and historical documents. The museum also has information regarding Seville’s prestigious naval history, the importance of the Guadalquivir River and the routes of various famous navigators.